Get Real Middle School Basic Set
Get Real Middle School is a comprehensive evidence-based sexuality education curriculum developed by Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts that empowers students in grades 6, 7 and 8 to delay sex and protect themselves from pregnancy and STIs.
The Get Real Middle School Basic Set includes:
- Get RealMiddle School Curriculum/Teacher's Guide
- Classroom set of 30 Student Workbooks for each grade
- Activity Kit
- Protection Methods Demonstration Kit
- Emphasizes social and emotional skills as key components of healthy relationships and responsible decision making.
- Promotes abstinence from sex as the healthiest choice for middle school students and provides a comprehensive understanding of sexual health, sexuality and protection methods.
- Supports parents and other caring adults as the primary sexuality educators of their children and includes take-home family activities that encourage dialogue between students and the caring adults in their lives.
Research Shows It Works
A longitudinal study conducted by Wellesley Centers for Women showed that Get Real works to delay sex among middle school students, reinforces family communication and improves skills for healthy relationships.
- Among students who received Get Real, 16% fewer boys and 15% fewer girls reported having had sex by the end of 8th grade, compared to the control group.
- For boys, family involvement showed an additional effect. Boys who completed family activities in 6th grade were less likely to report having had sex in 8th grade than boys who did not complete the activities.
- Both boys and girls who received Get Real identified that they were more prepared to assert themselves and communicate in a relationship, including saying NO to sex.
Get Real Training of the Educator
Get Real Middle School also offers a training program designed to train single individuals to replicate and implement Get Real with fidelity. The participant atttends a scheduled regional training and receives the following:
- Online course: pre-work in the form of a self-paced, online training (approximately 10 to 12 hours over 3 weeks), which is a prerequisite for in-person training.
- Two-day, in-person training: skill-based instruction with a Get Real trainer using a professional learning process that builds the knowledge and skills required to implement Get Real with fidelity.
- Technical assistance follow-up sessions: two 20-minute, one-on-one meetings with a Get Real trainer designed to provide support as educators put their training to work and take their skills into the classroom.
- Access to the Get Real Teacher Resource Center: full e-access to an online resource center and teacher forum for educators throughout the country.
For more information on Get Real Middle School including sample lessons and content, table of contents, research, adaptation guidelines, training & TA and much more, please visit the Get Real section of our Program Success Center for Sexual and Reproductive Health.
Individual titles from this set